It seems like some of the best and worst films of all time have been adapted from books. Sometimes they hit the book spot on and the movie is excellent. Sometimes the change the book around and I still love and sometimes they miss the mark completely. Here are some of each. Linking up with The Broke and the Bookish.
- Eat, Pray, Love– I honestly really liked the book, but I can’t even tell you where the movie went wrong. It still one of the only movies I turned off before the end, because I couldn’t take one more second.
- Three Musketeers– Did the film makers even read the book? If they would just stick to the book, they could make an amazing movie.
- Ella Enchanted– This is another one, where I felt like they skimmed the book before writing the screen play. I was so disappointed.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events– I felt like they tried to pack too many things into one movie.
- Jane Eyre– The 2006 Mini Series staring Ruth Wilson is my absolute favorite. Even my husband will watch this one.
- Emma– The one featuring Romola Garai is the most accurate depiction. I absolutely adore the story of Emma, my husband on the other hand, thinks it is torture in movie and book form.
- North and South– The miniseries is actually what inspired me to read the book and I love both.
- The Host– I know some people might disagree with me on this one, but I really thought they did a great job adapting this movie. I think the movie might be confusing for someone who hasn’t read the book, but I thought they included as much as they could in a movie adaption.
Way Different from the Book, but an excellent movie:
- Count of Monte Cristo– The movie changes a couple of major plot points to make the movie more romantic. Both the book and the movie are excellent stories, they just aren’t quiet the same.
- The Last of the Mohicans- This is another book that changed major plot points, but both the movie and the book are favorites. They are just different stories. (A note: I have only seen the edited version of this movie.)
What about you? What are you favorite and least favorite adaptions?