Tuesday, January 7, 2014
My Top 10 Bookish Resolutions
I love New Years Resolutions. I know most resolutions are forgotten about by part of the way through the year, but I love the opportunity to sit and evaluate what I want out of the year. Every year I post a list of my resolutions, but usually under each resolution is 5 or 10 sub-resolutions that I don't post. Since the link-up for the Broke and the Bookish is bookish resolutions, here are my book sub-resolutions.
1. Read the books I have purchased and haven't gotten around to yet. I have copies of The Elite and Crown of Midnight sitting on my self still untouched from when I purchased them. I think part of it might be because they are second books. I always struggle to make myself read the second book in a trilogy when the third isn't out yet. That doesn't explain why I have most of the House of Night series sitting on my shelf unread though.
2. Read more classics. Some of my favorite books are classics. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights both make my top five, but for whatever reason, I read fewer classic in 2013. I want to add at least a few new classics to the list this year. I keep promising my husband I will read The Three Musketeers. I plan to get to that this year.
3. Purchase fewer physical books and more E-books. When we moved into this house, my wonderful husband let me convert the dinning room into a library. It is still my favorite room in the house... but it is pretty full right now. I bought a Kindle last year and have loved having a selection of books with me wherever I go. Unless the book is something I have been waiting for (Cress, Mara Dyer) I want to try and purchase it electronically.
4. Use the library's electronic loan system more. Man! The State of Utah has an incredible electronic loan system. I plan to use it a lot more this year, especially with a new baby coming.
5. Read more nonfiction. Out of the 110 books I read in 2013, only a tiny portion of them where nonfiction. I really enjoyed the nonfiction I did read and want to read more this year.
6. Read 30 books this year. Last year my goal for reading was 100 books, this year I am dropping it significantly. Since I am not sure what the personality of the new baby will be, I am not sure what my reading time will look like either.
7. Review each of the books I read. My husband writes a review for each and every single book he reads, so he can remember them later. I love that he does that, I might not be willing to read the entire works of Shakespeare like he is yet, but I can write reviews.
8. Go to more author events! In 2013 I met Stephanie Perkins, Robin LaFevers, Margaret Stohl and Gail Carson Levine. They were absolutely some of my favorite things from the year and I want to make sure I put in the effort to met more authors in 2014.
9. Finish Lord of the Rings. I started this years ago and only made it a book and a half. I would love to finally add this series to my read pile.
10. Interact with more book bloggers and authors on blogs and Twitter. Are you a book blogger? I would love to follow you!
I also want to make more book related crafts this year! What are your bookish resolutions?