Today I am thrilled to have Tayler from Our Fairy Tale here to share her Chinese Cashew Chicken. I love all of Tayler's recipes and my absolute favorite part of her blog is her "Kids Write the Darndest Things" from her Junior High English class. Make sure to leave her some comment love and check out her blog!
Hi, Housewife Eclectic readers! My name is Tayler Morrell and I blog over at Our Fairy Tale.
I've been married for a year and half and we are expecting our first child in July! My husband is finishing his last semester at Brigham Young University and I teach Junior High English. I have always wanted to be a housewife, and this time in our young marriage as we finish our education makes that tough. But, even with our limited time in the kitchen and our limited budget to spend on food, we both still absolutely love to cook! You can check out some of our recipes here!
We shop at Winco, and we love looking at the choices in the bulk section. Typically, we get some almond shavings, but we wanted a different nut this time. So, we got cashews. We then looked at each and both had the same idea--make some Chinese Cashew Chicken.
I researched about 5 different recipes and came up with my own version. This will serve 2-3.
- 4 chicken tenders
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 cup of broccoli
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- dash of cumin
- 1 tsp ginger
- dash of garlic powder
- 1 cup cashews
- Chow Mein noodles to top
- 1 1/2 cups of brown rice
1) Cook the brown rice.
2) Chop up the chicken, red pepper, and broccoli.
3) In small bowl, mix chopped chicken, cornstarch, cumin, garlic powder, and ginger.
4) In separate bowl, mix soy sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar.
5) Pour the oil in a pan and cook the chicken in it. Add in the red peppers, the broccoli, cashews, and the sauce mixture.
6) Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes--stir occasionally. Put the lid on and put heat on low for 5 minutes. The cashews shouldn't be dry anymore.
7) Put this mixture on top of rice and sprinkle Chow Mein noodles on top.
Feel free to add or remove vegetables according to your taste! Hope you enjoy it and come visit me!