I don't know about you, but I don't really have a budget for holiday decorating. I see all of these amazing mantels on Pinterest and sigh because even if I bought the pieces on clearance after the holiday each year, it would still take me 5 or 6 years for my mantel to start to look like I wanted. I needed something fun and cute, without a huge price tag. I went to my local dollar store, and found some fantastic pieces, added a few other pieces and ended up with a mantel that I LOVE all for about $20. So here is the break down of what was from the dollar store and what wasn't.
From the dollar store, in this case, Dollar Tree:
- the three small ceramic pumpkins, I made sure to buy all different ones
- the two witches
- the crow
- the "Keep Calm and Scare On" Sign
- the owl
- the black and orange candy in the pumpkin
- pumpkin garland
- spider web in the window
Not from the dollar store
- Candlesticks- I found the best way to make your mantel look like you spent a lot of money on it is to create lots of different heights. I had lots of little pieces that I loved from the dollar store, but not a lot of height. The candle sticks were a thrift store find, I got all three pieces for $1 and they create the dimension I was really looking for. This is also the reason I bought the Scare On sign instead of some of the other options, because it added height to the mantel.
- Glass Pumpkins- I bought this at my local drug store for $3. I wanted a candy jar and one that was clear was perfect for the black and orange candy.
- White pumpkin- This was my one craft store buy. I bought it using a coupon and paid less than $5 for it. I absolutely loved it and so I was OK with it being the one piece I splurged a little on, I would have loved a slightly larger one, but this one kept me to just about my $20 budget.
How do you decorate on a budget?