One of the worst feelings is feeling like you should have bread as a side for your meal and realizing you a) don't have time to prepare the bread, or b) no yeast. It happens to me all the time. Thankfully there's a quick solution: Last-Minute, No-Yeast Breadsticks.
This is not a new concept, but one of those recipes you just need to have in your cooking arsenal.
1 1/4 cup flour (for healthier alternative, do 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup wheat flour)
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
3 Tbsp butter, melted
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Slowly add milk and use your hands to mix in the milk to create a dough.
- Knead the dough a few times on a floured counter top (be sure it's clean!)
- Use a rolling pin to stretch the dough into a rectangle about 5" x 9". Slice into breadsticks. This recipe makes about 10-12 depending on breadstick width.
- Add half the melted butter to the bottom of the 9x13 glass baking dish. Roll the breadsticks in the butter.
- Use a pastry brush to add more butter on top (be sure to reserve some butter for when the breadsticks are finished).
- Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes, or until the breadsticks are done.
- Immediately coat the breadsticks with the remaining butter. Sprinkle on garlic salt and Italian seasonings.
These breadsticks are a good side to Italian dishes. While not as full-bodied as breadsticks with yeast, they're still satisfying, particularly if you're a bread junkie like my family.