What would happen if you took two legendarily unhealthy foods and combined them? No, I’m not talking about the freak of nature turduken, or bacon donuts, it’s something even better: pizza egg rolls.
That’s right, the deliciousness of pizza tucked inside a flavor-packed egg roll wrapper. It was something I’d daydreamed about for weeks before gathering up the courage to try it. After all, if it was horrible, would it ruin pizza and/or egg rolls for me?
Thankfully, the pizza egg rolls turned out incredible! In fact, they are in contention for one of the top three places among the many different egg roll concoctions we’ve tried on this blog this year. And the best part? They’re fast and easy.
One of the frustrating things about homemade pizza is the time it takes to prep the dough. Plus, getting the right ratio of toppings to crust can be challenging, often resulting in a heavier than anticipated pizza. But pizza egg rolls eliminate both problems, making an already portable meal even better.
Egg roll wrappers
Green bell pepper
Marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Slice up your favorite pizza ingredients into smaller-than-normal sizes. The toppings must fit in the wrapper without jutting out and ripping the wrapper.
- Place your favorite toppings, in desired amounts, down the middle of the wrapper. Be careful not to over-stuff. Be especially careful not to add too much cheese. (While cheese may be one of the best things about a traditional pizza, it can quickly get out of hand in a pizza egg roll. You want more toppings than cheese. Add cheese last so it’s more of an afterthought than a necessity. This will help with balance and avoid how boiling lava hot cheese can get in an egg roll).
- Roll up the egg roll, sealing the ends with a little bit of water.
- Fry in pan of 1″ vegetable oil on medium heat until sides turn a golden brown. Turn once during frying.
- Let the oil settle and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Dip the pizza egg rolls in marinara sauce.