I can’t lie. I hate making cookies. There is just something about being tied to the kitchen and switching out the cookie sheets that drives me crazy. My husband on the other hand, makes excellent cookies, so this is one culinary duty that I have turned almost completely over to him.
This is his favorite recipe to make, a recipe that we always finish in just a day or two, they are that good. We have made them with milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet, white chocolate chips and cinnamon chips, they are all delicious but my favorite is a combination of milk chocolate and white chocolate. So without further ado, here is the amazing recipe my husband makes:
1 C. shortening
1 C. brown sugar, packed
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 C. oats
1 C. chocolate chips
- Cream the shortening, brown sugar and sugar in a mixer until smooth. The creamier this mixture gets, the better your cookies will be.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. This really is important to mix the dry ingredients together before combining with the wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients in with the batter.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips. The batter will get increasingly thick as the flour and oats are added so you will need to knock it down and back into the mixer.
- Spoon onto a cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. The cookies are done when they start to get light brown around the edges. They will still feel rather gooey when you pull them about, but they will solidify within 5 minutes and be perfectly soft.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Yum. Now just to talk my husband into making them for me….