My mom loves to try all my new recipes, but she’s always surprised by how much spice and heat tends to accompany our dishes (we often add more spice than I include in the posted recipes). We love spicy food!
It’s amazing how a little spice can transform an ordinary dish into an extraordinary dining experience. And that spice is the difference maker in this Kicked-up Cajun Chicken & Rice.
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
Heath’s Blends Southwest Sizzler seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
2-3 green onions, diced
1 (10-oz) can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- Prepare the rice by placing the rice, chicken broth, and salt and pepper in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside to allow the rice to finish soaking up the liquid.
- Season the chicken with both the Cajun seasoning and the Southwest Sizzler blend (If you can’t handle as much heat, choose one or the other, but the combination is great!).
- In a large pan, cook the chicken in olive oil over medium-high heat. When the chicken is cooked through, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan and heat the oil on high. Add the minced garlic and bell peppers and saute until the veggies brown and soften. Add some more Cajun and Southwest Sizzler seasoning. Toward the end of the cooking process add the green onions.
- Pour the Ro-Tel tomatoes in with the veggies, and add the diced tomato, chicken, and rice. Stir until well combined.