When it comes to Mexican food, it’s easy to throw the humble quesadilla at the bottom of the list of options. But who says the quesadilla has to be boring?
We often make quesadillas as a quick-fix meal and as a result they end up being quick-fix quality: dull and average. But, like so many other things in life, if you add a little time and thought, you can make quesadillas an awesome dish.
Such is the case with these Kicked-Up Sweet Chili Quesadillas. They are a fusion of Asian and Mexican and the flavors are complex and delicious!
- 1/2 to 1 lb. cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 green onions, diced
- Shredded cheese
- Sweet chili sauce
- Sour cream
- Boil the chicken until cooked through and shred in a Kitchen-Aid. Pour in a tablespoon or two of sweet chili sauce and mix well. Be careful not to add too much. You want the flavor, but you don’t want the chicken to be drenched in sauce.
- Saute the red bell pepper in a little bit of olive oil until it just starts to darken.
- Assemble the quesadilla in a pan over medium heat by placing a single tortilla on the pan and add the cheese. Add some shredded chicken red bell pepper and green onion. Place a second tortilla on top.
- Check the tortilla to make sure it is starting to turn a light golden brown. Flip and repeat until the other side is the same color.
- Sprinkle a light dusting of chili powder on top.
- Serve with sour cream and sweet chili sauce.
It’s a perfect blend of heat and sweetness. The flavors kind of unfold as you eat it. It’s quick to make and super tasty!
What is sweet chili sauce? Never heard of it, but this sounds great! Do you think it would work with out the red peppers bcz I hate red and green peppers, or is there a substitution you would recommend? Thanks!
I guess I should clarify, I hate bell peppers, not all peppers. 🙂 thanks!
Masshole Mommy says
That sounds DELICIOUS!! I bet my kids would love it, too.
Stacey - Seattle Mom Blog says
This looks divine. I absolutely LOVE sweet chili sauce. Yum!
Kristin and Megan says
Mmmmmmm drooling! Looks so yummy!
valmg @ From Val's Kitchen says
I bet my son would really enjoy this. Love how easy it sounds to make!
That is a nice twist on the quesadilla. Pretty sure my family would love it.
This looks delicious. Sweet chili sauce is so good. It's great on a so many foods.
Shannah @ Just Us Four says
This sounds delicious. I bet it would be a hit with my whole family.
Mistee Dawn says
That looks and sounds delicious. I bet my hubby would love it.
Those do look really good. We make quesadillas on a regular basis. I love my quesadilla maker, one of the best christmas gifts I've recieved in a long time.
Krystal Butherus says
IT's a fun twist on an old favorite. I am loving the seasonings!