Lasagna is a family favorite. But let’s be honest: it can often be expensive to make, and can be time consuming to prepare. Plus, while I love lasagna, it can tend to be heavy and just sit in your stomach. How could it not with those giant noodles?
That’s where these mini lasagna cups come in. They are smaller and better portioned, which is great if you’re watching your weight or trying to eat smarter. These mini lasagna cups also feature won ton wrappers instead of traditional noodles, which makes for a lighter meal and allows you to focus on all the other delicious flavors.
Not only are these mini lasagna cups fun for kids and adults to eat, but they are also super quick to prepare. They are a great first meal to teach a child since they have only a handful of easy ingredients and it all comes together easily.
1 lb. ground pork sausage
24 won ton wrappers (2-inch, square)
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (or spaghetti sauce)
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and black pepper
1 Tbsp parsley
- Brown and crumble the sausage in a frying pan. Season with salt and pepper and garlic salt. For an extra kick add a bit of cayenne pepper. Drain fat.
- Combine sausage with 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce and mix well.
- Using nonstick spray, coat all holders in a standard muffin tin.
- Place a won ton wrapper in each muffin tin and press down lightly to make small bowl. Fill each bowl with 1 Tbsp ricotta cheese and lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Add 1 Tbsp of the sausage/marinara sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat this process with another layer: won ton wrapper, ricotta, sausage/marinara and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. The cheese should be melted and the won ton wrappers should be a golden brown.
- Top with parsley and serve.
Seriously, these are so good I don’t know if I’ll go back to traditional lasagna. And while they’re not as easy to prepare as a Stouffer’s Lasagna, they cook faster and I think taste better. I especially like the won ton wrappers instead of traditional noodles. Give it a try and make your kids happy.