Food should be fun. And few things are as fun as food fusion – mixing two different food styles to create something new and different.
I’ve highlighted my BBQ Taquitos recipe before – a family favorite – but my husband can’t ever leave recipes alone and had this idea to make these taquitos in an egg roll wrapper rather than a tortilla. And let’s face it, everything tastes great in an egg roll wrapper. This recipe is Mexico meets Asia. And it’s amazing!
2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced
1 avocado, sliced
Egg roll wrappers
- Boil chicken breasts in pot of boiling water until chicken is cooked.
- Place chicken breasts in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Add in barbecue sauce and chili powder. Mix on high until chicken is shredded (about 30 seconds)
- Saute jalapeno in a small pan until jalapeno is softened and starts to lightly brown. Be careful not to add too much oil when sauteing.
- Assemble each egg roll by placing shredded chicken down the middle of the wrapper. Top with jalapeno, cilantro and avocado. Fold the bottom edge up, and tuck under the filling. Fold in each side, lightly adding water to the tips so they stick to the wrapper. Add a little water to the remaining top flap and roll the egg roll the rest of the way. (Worried about folding correctly? Check out this handy guide.)
- Fry in vegetable oil until egg roll wrapper turns brown and crispy (watch carefully because it’s easy to burn).
- Dip in sour cream, hot sauce or salsa. Fresh pico de gallo also makes a great side.
So what makes this dish so awesome? First, the egg roll wrappers add a light crispiness to the dish. Sometimes fried tortillas can feel so heavy. Plus, the jalapeno, cilantro and avocado really bring out the flavor. Seriously, I might just be addicted to these.