Every year, I let my daughter help make Rainbow Cupcakes. Nothing is so fun as the multi-colored creations. This year we wanted something different for the top of our cupcakes and so we opted for Skittles. Skittles are actually perfect for cakes. Setting the Skittles in the frosting softens them up and makes them the perfect bite.
You will need:
- A Cake Mix and everything to make the cake
- Everything for the Frosting Recipe Below
- Skittles (I buy the HUGE bags so I don't run out)
- 1/2 Cup of white vegetable shortening
- 4 C. Powdered Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Water or Milk
- 1 teaspoon pure Almond extract
Add all of the ingredients to your mixer and mix until a even consistency.
For these cupcakes I baked the cake according box directions. I frosted them simply without any special tips because I needed a mostly flat surface to work with. I found if I laid the Skittles flat on the cupcakes, I could get three rows to fit or if I stacked them on their sides I could fit four rows comfortably.
My 6-year-old absolutely loved these cute cupcakes and they are so easy to make that she can help me pull them together.
What do you make for St. Patrick's Day?