That being the case, we've learned to make many Chinese dishes of our own. Some are complex, but many like this Honey Sesame Chicken are simple, quick and easy and include ingredients that are familiar to most people.
1½ lbs chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces
½ cup flour
¼ cup cornstarch
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp pepper
½ cup water
Honey Sauce Ingredients
½ cup honey
3 Tbsp soy sauce
¼ tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
Vegetable oil, for frying
Green onion, diced
- Prepare the chicken coating by combining flour, cornstarch, salt, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and water. Whisk until blended.
- Heat about ½ - 1 inch of vegetable oil in an electric skillet to 375 degrees.
- Place cut chicken into the chicken coating and cover well. Place in the electric skillet and fry until golden brown. This takes about 5 minutes. (NOTE: The chicken has a tendency to clump, so it's best to cook the chicken in small batches or watch carefully and break apart.)
- Place the cooked chicken on paper towel covered plate so the oil can drain and the chicken can finish crisping up.
- Prepare the sauce by combining the honey, soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch and water and whisk until blended.
- After the sauce has reached a boil, reduce the heat and gradually pour in the cornstarch mixture, and whisk constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Add the crispy chicken to the sauce and carefully mix until the chicken is coated in the sauce.
- Top with green onion and sesame seeds and serve with rice.
This meal comes together quickly and takes such minimal effort, but it tastes amazing and it's better than take out. Give it a try the next time you need a quick fix meal.