It is not secret that I absolutely love to read. I am currently in the middle of my 50th book of 2013 and I usually read between 1 and 18 books a week depending on time and if I am in the middle of a great series. I, like any avid reader, get asked to recommend books all the time. It honestly makes me so nervous. You never know what while offend somebody and so I tend to never recommend books. These are 10 that I love so much that I can’t hardly keep from gushing about.
1. Grave Mercy- Nun Assassins. Need I say more? Oh how I love these books, they are captivating, interesting and nothing like I have ever read. The first book has some violence but I would even recommend it to my sensitive mother. The second book is way more graphic and so compelling. The main character has had a terrible life and you can’t help but feel for her and the terrible things that have happened to her. I would hide the second book from my sensitive mother.
2. The Vault In Our Stars- Sad books don’t often make it to my list of favorites, but oh how I love the Fault In Our Stars. I cried through the second half of the book and I would read it again. Full review here.
3. Vampire Academy- Many people disregard any series with Vampires in it and all I can say is that they are missing out! I read all six books in this series in two days. I love the kick butt heroine and her crazy save my friends/defy authority attitude. This series is set around a high school and is totally a fan girl series, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I often get asked if this series is appropriate for teenagers. There is quite a bit of violence and some sex. I suggest that moms read the series for themselves and decide for their specific teen.
4. Night Circus- A magical competition that involves creating impossible and creative tents for a circus that is only open at night? A beautiful romance and the amazing circus make this a favorite. Full review here.
5. Divergent. This is hands down my favorite dsytopian novel, and since I read every dsytopian novel I come across, that is saying something. I love the setting, I love all of the background characters and I absolutely love Tris and Four. I love them separately and together.
6. Graceling- A story of a headstrong girl that is “graced” with the ability to kill people. Even though she is forced to do the king’s bidding, she secretly runs a resistance opposed to his rule. I love this book. I love its sequels. I love the main characters and their relationship might be one of my favorite romances ever. There is violence and the last book in the series talks about heavy topics, but for an adult or mature teenager I think they would love this series as much as I do. Full review here.
7. The Belgariad- This honestly might be one of the best fantasy series ever written. It is creative and engaging. Even having read the series 6 or 7 times, every time I start them I finish all five books in a matter of days.
8. The Winter Sea- Set in two different times in the same location. A writer in the present is trying to write about the past and finds that maybe she posses some sort of genetic memory that lets her see her ancestors story for herself. Full review here.
9. Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices Series- I always hesitate when I recommend these series because I am not sure when I fell in love with it. It wasn’t after the first book. It might have been after the third, but it is truly the conglomeration of all 8 books plus one still to come, that makes it wonderful. Anyone who stopped reading after one book will not understand the hype and love of these two series. If anything, the fourth and fifth Mortal Instruments and second and third Infernal Devices are my favorites. (Infernal Devices is the prequel series to the Mortal Instruments)
10. Cinder- A Cinderella retelling with Cinderella as a cyborg? As much as I liked Cinder, I would Cinder again just to read the second book in the series, Scarlet. In this world set in the future, the Earth is in danger of invasion from the moon and there is only one person who has a chance to stopping it, the Lunar Princess, but she has been missing for years and is probably dead, Cinder is just a mechanic and a lowly cyborg, but she gets wrapped up with a prince and the problems on invasion.
What books do you recommend over and over?