- A large calendar- I wanted my husband and kids to be able to see at a glance what was coming up in the next little while.
- a white board- I wanted to be able to have a central place where my kids could leave me a note if they needed and vice versa
- a magnetic cup holder- I HATE having to wander around the house looking for a pen. So I wanted something right in the command center to keep track of them
- a cork board- I didn’t want to take up my entire whiteboard with papers, so a separate corkboard holds most of the papers
- a wall pocket- something to hold anything that was too thick or big to be pinned to the corkboard
- color coded gel pens- I have found the easiest way for me to keep track of schedules is to use a different color pen for each person on the calendar. I love Pilot G2 Gel Pens because they have 15 different colors and I can color code to my hearts content.
- some element that personalized it- I wanted to know that this was for my family
I found everything I needed in a quick trip to Walmart including the cute tin letter H for our last name. I hung everything with velcro strips and was able to get everything on the wall in just a few minutes. I love the way it turned out and almost everything was right in the office supplies aisle. The cork came in a pack of four, so if you wanted to have more cork tiles or a cork tile for each child, it would be really easy to do.
I found a basic large paper calendar. The biggest thing I wanted out of a calendar was large blocks for each day, so I would have plenty of space. This one was just perfect.
The plastic file is called a wall pocket and right now holds folders for each kid. While the pocket has a place to screw it into the wall, it also has a spot to use hanging strips on it. I put it up with the hanging strips and it has held up great!
I kind of fell in love with this whiteboard and I love that it is also magnetic so it can hold the cup of Pilot G2 Gel Pens for the calendar.
I found a cute frame and filled it will fun pictures of our family and bought a light box (kind of like a little marquee) to go just under the command center so we can change out the words to congratulate a child or celebrate a holiday. I added the Back to School with a smiley face and my 7-year-old came along and added the frowny face too.
I bought a couple of packs of Pilot G2 Pens, to color coordinate the calendar. My daughter loves the pens so much she has already stolen my turquoise one. I love these pens because they write so smooth, even when the calendar is up on the wall and not flat on a table. They are America’s #1 selling gel ink brand for a reason! They just came out with G2 Metallics and I can’t wait to grab a package of those for personalizing my planner. Since they have been proven to write longer than any other gel pen, I buy them knowing they are going to last a long time.
Right now you can save .75 cents on any one pack of pens 4-pack or lager, so you can get your command center off on the right foot. Download the coupon here.