Quick-fix meals shouldn’t have to skimp on flavor or quality. This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Pasta is a great way to dress up plain, ordinary tortellini. It doesn’t take long to prepare, yet it tastes like a carefully crafted dish.
1 pkg three cheese tortellini
2 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
2 Tbsp basil
1 tsp oregano
Salt and black pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Prepare tortellini according to package instructions.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan and saute garlic for about a minute. Add the flour and onion powder, and stir constantly for about a minute.
- Slowly pour in milk and cream, while whisking, and continue to whisk until the sauce becomes smooth. Continue stirring until the sauce simmers. Pour in the tomatoes, spinach, basil and oregano. Salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until spinach wilts and the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and continue to stir until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and add the drained tortellini. Stir in the tortellini and let rest for a couple minutes before serving.
Simple as that! This was a hit with both my daughters, with my youngest demanding seconds — a rare event in our house.