It can feel overwhelming. The schools are out for weeks in some places and even months in others. We are being asked to foster learning at home as the country faces an unprecedented time of social distancing.
While we are being asked to stay at home, there are still ways to visit some of the amazing places in the world, all from the safety of your home computer. We have pulled together a list of amazing places with virtual field trips, webcams, and other fantastic ways to experience culture from afar. Where will you go? Check out the 50+ virtual field trips to take with your kids.
Explore the amazing artifacts in the museum. You can explore by continent, time period, or topic such as art and design, power and identity, religion and belief, trade and conflict or living and dying.
Use Google Street View to walk the halls of the iconic Guggenheim Museum.
Explore the largest collection of Vincent Van Gogh’s work with Google. Get up close with each of his paintings and discover some of his lesser know works. To explore the museum, click on a painting, then click on view in street view.
The Smithsonian is an incredible museum to visit in person, but there are still plenty of ways to discover its secrets online. Explore both the current and past exhibits at the Smithsonian with this virtual tour. Take a tour of the Butterfly Pavilion, see the hall of Fossils and even check out some amazing exhibit on narwhals (my kids’ favorite). The imagery on this virtual tour is absolutely amazing! You can read all of the displays and it is the perfect opportunity to really teach kids about Natural History.
Take a virtual tour of this science and technology center to learn more about cutting-edge technology that has the potential to change the world. This tour is an “all-access pass to The Tech Interactive’s most exciting exhibits AND a road trip to one of the most famous sites in California: Silicon Valley, to meet some of tech’s leading professionals.”
You can experience tours of some of the galleries and exhibits via a virtual tour. The virtual tours are broken down into different sections, allowing you to explore what you are learning about each day. Here are the tours you can experience.
- Egyptian Antiquities
- Remains of the Louvre’s Moat
- Galerie d’Apollon
Explore both the monument and the visitors’ center with these amazing 360 images.
The White House
This virtual tour includes a 360 look at many of the amazing rooms in the White House.
Get a peak inside and around this famous landmark with this VR tour.
Experience American History like never before with this VR Field Trip of the Liberty Bell.
View the majesty of the Great Wall of China via a 360 virtual tour. One of the most famous landmarks in the world, the wall is more than 3,000 miles long and truly a wonder to behold, even on a virtual tour.
Farm Food 360
Teach your kids about farms, animals and where our food comes from with these amazing Candian Virtual tours.
Here are some of the tours you can take:
- Milk and Cheese Tours – You will see how milk is processed and how mozzarella cheese is made.
- Dairy Cow Farm Tour – Learning about different milking systems, how to care for baby calves and experience a day in the life of a dairy farm family.
- Sheep Farm Tour – Here you will find information about sheepdogs, shearing, and how sheep live.
- Mink Farm Tour – Learn how to care for minks and what they eat while seeing inside a working mink farm.
- Egg Farms – You can tour all five of the different types of hen farms found in Canada: Enriched Housing, Free Run, Free Range, Aviary and Conventional Housing
- Grain Farm Tour– This tour talks about the challenges of farming, how technology has changed farming and gives you a year in the life of a family who farms for a living.
- Apple Orchard Tour- Learn how apples are grown and packaged and just how they get from the farm to your table.
- Pig Farm Tour– Learn how to care for pigs and how to keep them safe with this tour.
Explore this mysterious island with 360 photographs.
Go behind the scenes with the Ford Motor Company. Meet the employees making the cars and explore the technology that makes it possible.
Go behind the scenes of the Tractor Supply Company and learn what it takes to turn an idea into a product.
“Packed with interesting facts, videos, and photos; the free app allows anyone in the world to explore a virtual version of the world’s most iconic theatre.”
Learn about both the people and the nature from the deserts and grasslands of Africa with this virtual field trip hosted by scientist Charles Oluchina.
Explore China with scientist Yue Wang, who will take you to see China’s Forests and giant Pandas while talking about different habitats and why they are important.
Marine biologist Stephanie Wear takes kids on a trip to the coral reefs of Palau to explore Nature’s Underwater cities.
This is one trip you’ll definitely not get to experience in person. Leave the Earth with this 360 tour of Mars.
Take a virtual field trip to the historic Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. This virtual tour takes you behind the scenes of the science and history at the Johnson Space Center.
These amazing Star maps can be viewed on an app or online. Take a trip through the stars. You can search for stars and constellations and learn more about the sky above us.
Study polar bears and their habitat. Learn basics about the tundra and polar bears with this tour.
Experience the history of WWII with a virtual tour of the Anne Frank House. In this virtual rendering, the rooms in the secret annex are furnished according to how it was when occupied by the group in hiding, between 1942 and 1944.
This museum has many online exhibits including Hidden Children and the Holocaust, Hidden History of the Kovno Ghetto, and American and the Nazi Book Burning. These online exhibits include videos, photos, and information about this dark time in history.
US Space & Rocket Center
Explore the US Space and Rocket center with this fun YouTube video.
Explore some of the amazing National Parks in the United States with Google!
- Explore Kenai Fords National Park
- Explore Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Explore Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Explore Bryce Canyon National Park
- Explore Dry Tortugas National Park
See a live stream of one of the world’s tallest waterfalls.
Explore the final frontier with you kids and NASA’s amazing Video Gallery
Learn more about the locations in the Little House series including Laura’s Birthplace and sites of her homes later in life, with maps, videos, and information about each location.
Discuss different animals and their habitats with these live Animal cams.
- San Diego Zoo Live Cams – Check out the San Diego Zoo live cams to view live footage of baboons, penguins, polar bears, apes, koalas, giraffes, owls, elephants, tigers, and more. The zoo also features an amazing kids website where you can learn more about all kinds of animals.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – tune into the aquarium’s live cams to see footage of their aviary, coral reef, kelp forest, penguins, otters, and sharks.
- Houston Zoo – Check out the Houston Zoo’s live cam footage to see footage of chimps, gorillas, elephants, giraffes, and rhinos.
- Georgia Aquarium- The Georgia Aquariums webcams include live footage of Belugas, Jelly Fish, and Piranhas.
- Zoo Atlanta – The perfect place to check out live footage of pandas!
From world history to amazing natural wonders, you can really go all around the world (and space) from the comfort of your own home. Happing (faux) traveling.