Sometimes you’re just in the mood for a different side than French fries. It’s hard to switch things up though because French fries are so easy to make, whether they’re frozen or homemade. But they’re not the only quick side out there. My favorite quick-fix side is air fryer zucchini fries. They’ve got the crunch and external texture of mozzarella sticks and a satisfyingly crunchy interior. In short, they’re pretty much perfection.
The best part about them? They’re easy to make and healthier than many other traditional sides. And if you make them in an air fryer, they’re even faster to make than ever.
Follow this air fryer zucchini fries recipe to get started:
- 2-3 zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs*
*To make these zucchini fries gluten free, simply use gluten-free bread crumbs.
- Slice the zucchini into long strips in the size, shape, and thickness of traditional French fries.
- Whisk the egg, milk, and garlic powder together in a bowl.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in another bowl.
- In small batches, dip the zucchini slices into the egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Place in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Try to avoid overcrowding. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to do this in multiple batches.
- Fry at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until crispy.
Zucchini fries are delicious on their own, but are also incredible dipped in ranch dressing.
You can always use this same recipe to bake the zucchini fries in the oven, but the cook time is longer (20 minutes at 420 degrees), and the fries don’t come out quite as crispy and evenly cooked. Like with so many other dishes, the air fryer is the perfect way to cook quickly while getting the texture and crunch you’re after.
Zucchini fries are a perfect pairing for a meal, or as an appetizer. Give them a try!