Naming a baby is hard. I have only had to do it once in my life, but books were a huge inspiration for me. Unfortunately, my husband and I don’t have the same taste in names and we struggled to find a name for our daughter that we could agree on. If it had been completely up to me, I would have named her straight from one of my favorite books, but alas I needed my husband to agree too. Here are some of my favorite character names, other known as, the names of my ten imaginary children. Linking up with The Broke and the Bookish.
- Dashiell- I absolutely adore Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares and Dash is one of my favorite characters. He is perfect parts cynicism and wit. Although I know my husband would NEVER go for this name, I keep it hanging around on the back burner.
- Garion- I have actually almost talked my husband into this name from The Belgariad series more than once, but something about naming a kid after a book character scares him off every time. It is too bad because the characters in the series have stuck with me a long time. Heck, I’d name a kid Belgarath if I could get away with it.
- Adrian- Never a name I thought I would love for a boy, Bloodlines changed that for me. I love the character of Adrian so much, it is hard to not love his name too.
- Ender- I know his name is Andrew, but I love the name Ender. My husband loves this series so much that I might be able to talk him into this one.
- Étienne- Call me a sap, but I find this Étienne from Anna and the French Kiss to be such a romantic name. It might just be because the name is from a romance, but the name itself holds romance for me.
- Sybella- You know those characters you admire for their strength and bravery, even in extreme circumstances. Sybella from Dark Triumph is one of those for me. I love the unique sound of her name, it is perfect for her unique character.
- Celaena-A beautiful name for a strong, enduring character. So much of what I think of a name, comes from the character it belongs to. Celaena from Throne of Glass is fierce and strong.
- Hermoine- I am not even going to tell you how I pronounced this before book 4, but it wasn’t even close. Hermoine will stick with me forever. She was the character I wanted to be growing up. Strong, smart and brave.
- Alina- The name of the main character in the Shadow and Bone series, is both beautiful and different. I love the series and so it is easy to love the name.
- Miri- This sweet and simple name from Princess Academy is one of my favorite names. It is beautiful and soft, but the character shows it belongs to someone strong and enduring.
On second thought, after looking at this list, maybe it is a good thing my husband has veto power on names.
marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings says
So many that I loved when reading but TOTALLY forgot about when I was making my list. I almost put Dash too
Some lovely names! I really like the name Alina. It's pretty.
Tabitha S says
YESSSS. Etienne. His name is incredibly romantic, and I just ADORE HIM.
Great list!! I can't believe I forgot to include Dash in my list.
My Top Ten
Lorene Nance says
Haha, I kind of agree that is good he has veto power 😉 I have a huge list of characters I love… but not so many of them make it to the name list. Like Atticus. Adore Atticus. Wouldn't name my child that just yet though…
Miri on the other hand… if I can convince Mark…
Ula (Blog of Erised) says
Awesome list! Garion is a really good name!
I feel like a name list without Etienne St. Clair is no name list a all. 😉
My TTT List
Oooo, Alina is such a pretty name. I know I mispronounced Hermione a early on when I was reading HP. Hehehe.
Reviews from a Book Worm says
Some great names! I am hoping to do what my mum did when naming me. My dad and my mum had already agreed on the name Paris for me, but while in labour my mum changed her mind and picked my more unusual name – my dad couldn't exactly argue and that point in time, with my mum in labour, screaming at him and so Paris was demoted to middle name!
Tiffany Bowcut says
Ender is a great nickname.
Ellie M. says
Great picks, those are totally awesome!
My Top Ten Post!
Ah, I love Ender and Hermione! I'd be a little reluctant to give those to actual children, but they're some of my favorite names in YA lit. Thanks for sharing your list!
Aww! I didn't even think of Miri! I love that name too. It was hard to narrow it down to 10!
Andy Estrada says
Dash, Adrain and Étienne. I can't with how much I love all 3<3
Andy @ Owl Always Be Reading
Becky @ Utah Sweet Savings says
I'm so boring when it comes to names. The more classic the better. But that is just me. I love your names.
Maggie @ Just a Couple More Pages says
I liked how you picked so many boy names. I wanted to do more boy names, but I feel like so many boy names tend to be more ordinary (which I don't think is a bad thing) but I felt silly saying "Ben" or "Will" even though those are names that I love.
Mary @ Tumbling in books says
Love the idea of putting the book covers together! My favorites from your list would probably be Garion and Hermione (who doesn't love Hermione?!).. Great list! ^^
My Top Ten Tuesday