Last week we discussed how to simplify your blogging/social media world by following a simple plan. In less than an hour, you can have all your social media posts for the day scheduled and out of your hair, freeing you up to write your next post, do social media for fun or whatever else you love to do.
Today, we’ll continue this simplification process, starting with Twitter. Remember, in our order of posting, Twitter posts come immediately after writing a blog post. You should write five tweets based on your post. But what should you tweet about? And how do you get five tweets from a post? There are a number of ways, but I’ve created a simple tool on Google Docs that should help.
The concept is simple: you break down your blog post into the following five types of tweets:
- Title – This tweet is just the title of your blog post, with the first letter of each word capitalized. Include the link to your post (either full, or using a shortened URL). Add a hashtag, if desired.
- Main Idea – Imagine someone puts a gun to your head and tells you to summarize your blog post in one quick sentence. Write that down and you have your main idea tweet. Again, add the link.
- Main Idea 2 – There’s probably another main idea buried in the post. If not, pull a direct quote from the post.
- Fun Twist – Think of a playful, fun way to advertise your post – something that will entice people to read further.
- Teaser – This can be difficult at first, but it’s a fun challenge. Write a teaser, something that will get people interested enough to click the link to learn more.
- are conversational
- are short
- include an engaging image
- have a call to action (like, comment, share)
- encourage people to respond
Briton Alo says
This is great! I'm always wondering how I get improve my blogging/social media- thanks for sharing!
marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings says
Thank you thank you thank you this is so helpful. So many times advice is just lots of work but it's really nice to see doable steps! Pinning
Great info! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us, we appreciate you!
Kari Reynolds says
These are awesome tips and I love the Google doc! I am so in need of some social media organization. Thanks for sharing 🙂
you are so smart thank you for sharing your tips
Pinned! I still haven't figured out Twitter and this post had some great ideas! Thank you.