One of my favorite things about being married to my husband, his is willingness to try fun and crazy concoctions in the kitchen with me. We have made a lot of egg rolls in our house over the last couple years. Egg Egg rolls and Pizza Egg rolls have been some of our favorites! Lasagna egg rolls have been on our mind for awhile and we finally decided to give them a try. These fun egg rolls are baked instead of fried and covered with delicious Tomato Basil pasta sauce.
- 6-8 egg roll wrappers
- ½ lb. pork sausage
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 jar Mezzetta sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Ricotta cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Brown and crumble the pork sausage. Season with Italian seasoning, garlic salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix the cooked sausage with 1/3 jar of Mezzetta pasta sauce.
- Create the egg rolls by spreading a thin layer of Ricotta cheese across the middle of an egg roll wrapper. Sprinkle on some Italian seasoning. Add a layer of sausage/sauce on top. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Roll up the egg roll. Repeat for each egg roll.
- Place the egg rolls on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes in a 400 degree oven. The egg rolls should start to firm up, but shouldn’t be ultra crispy.
- In a separate glass baking dish, add a thin layer of pasta sauce. Place the egg rolls on the pasta sauce. Top with diced tomato and enough pasta sauce to cover all the egg rolls. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
What is your favorite Italian dish?