School is just around the corner and that means it’s time for some quick-fix meals at night that are filling, yet easy to prepare.
For me, that often means a crockpot meal, or something I won’t have to battle the kids to eat (seriously, is there anything more exhausting than trying to convince your kids to eat?).
This Cheesy Chicken and Rice with Bacon Bake is straight-up homestyle cooking. It’s comfort food that’s tasty, and the kids will eat it without fighting. Even my picky eater ate it and liked it. Plus, it has bacon. So, win!
1/2 lb. bacon
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 C. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can chicken broth
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 C. cooked chicken, shredded
2 C. white rice
1 C. shredded mozzarella
- Place the rice in a rice cooker and cook until done.
- Boil the chicken and shred.
- Lay the bacon strips on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Flip each strip and bake for another 5 minutes, or until bacon becomes crispy. Remove and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Prepare the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in the flour until the sauce becomes smooth. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cayenne. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese until well combined.
- Spray a glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Add the shredded chicken and rice to the baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce and mix to combine. Add the mozzarella cheese and crumble the bacon to top it off.
- Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.